Sunday, October 2, 2011

Organize Your Genealogy

Organizing Your Genealogy With Binders and File Folders
By
 Karen Utter Jennings
            Is your desk or workspace overflowing with family genealogy materials?  Can you find exactly what you are looking for without digging for it?  The next step on your genealogical journey is to organize.  There are many ways to organize, but this week we will focus on using three-ring binders.   
            When I began my family research, I found information on my great, great-grandfather, David Jefferson Utter and his siblings.    Soon into the research, I knew I had to organize the notes, the papers, and the newspaper clippings that were piling up before I misplaced them.
            I chose three-ring binders.  Binders come in varying sizes and colors.  Depending on the size, they can hold a lot of information.  My favorite is the white binder with a clear view front.   If you choose the largest binders, they are capable of holding upwards of 500 sheets.   Along with the binders, you will want to purchase a set of archival safe clear sheet protectors to hold small items like newspaper clippings, pictures, and notes.   
            I purchased a binder for David Jefferson and two others for his siblings.  I set up each binder with the protective sleeves and tabbed dividers.   I sorted the family group sheets and other materials on each person and put them into the appropriate binder.   As my research grew, I bought more binders until I had binders for several family members. 
            Binders are handy to take along when I go to libraries or other institutions to do research.   Once the binders are set up, you can pull a particular binder for the people you are researching and have the information beside you.  
            When approaching a method to organize your family history research, you want to use what you are comfortable with and can afford.  Starting out small and adding to it as you collect your information may be the way you want to start.  As you continue on your genealogical journey, your collection will grow and grow and grow.  If you choose binders to organize  research, you won’t be disappointed.  Always remember to use archival safe materials to store your precious research. 
            Another method genealogists and writers use to organize their notes, research material and family information is using  file folders in filing cabinets.  Before we begin, I will tell you that I like simple and easy things.  So, regarding using file folders to organize my research, I try to keep it simple.  I file alphabetically and group materials together.  I write fiction and nonfiction, so I have my fiction in one file cabinet and nonfiction in another. 
            To begin organizing your family research with file folders you will have to gather your gear.  Purchase a box of file folders and file labels if you do not want to write directly on the folders.  You will need a place to store the file folders, so choose an upright file cabinet (they come in many sizes) or a crate that will hold file folders.  Accordion files are available, also.  There are many ways to store file folders, so check it out in the office supply store.     
            Sort through your family group sheets and pedigree forms and file them in your file folders.  Write the names directly on the file folder tab or on a file folder label and apply it to the folder.  The easiest way to file is alphabetically, but that is your own personal decision.  You may devise a system that fits your needs.    
            As I do my family research, I run across useful information that I print out to keep as reference material for my writing.  I place that information in file folders and file it alphabetically.  Since I am a writer, I have several large upright file cabinets that are handy for this purpose.   I also have the space for them, so remember they do take up space in a room.
            There are other methods to filing and it can become complicated.   Some researchers use proof files.  Proof files are the originals and master copies of all the information you accumulate.  Examples include birth certificates, marriage licenses, death certificates, divorce papers, photographs, copies of secondary sources, correspondence, etc.  The originals are copied, then stored in a safe place.  The copies of the originals are used in research.
            Remember, if you choose to use file folders as a filing system, keep it user-friendly and uncomplicated.  I use both methods: three-ring binders and file folders in filing cabinets. That's because I am a writer, too. Genealogy is supposed to be fun, not complicated.  Have fun researching your family history!  

No comments:

Post a Comment