Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ollie's BD, Beginning Genealogy, & Slowing down, oh my!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!
Today my paternal great-grandmother, Ollie Johnson Utter Brier would have been 116. She died in 1975 and I miss her just as much as the day she left me. She was an important person in my life as well as my mother and brothers' lives. She cared for us like no other could have done. And now I know why...she was our grandma!  Grandparents and grandchildren are very special people. My grandchildren are like blocks of gold to me. I'd rather have them than the gold! And Ollie was my block of gold ~ stories abound from her and about her. I miss you Grandma! Hugs and kisses to you.

FROM THE INKWELL: This Genealogy Journey column was written in September, 2009. I hope you enjoy it.
WORKING ON YOUR OWN GENEALOGY JOURNEY

            Let’s start our genealogy journey.  As with all journeys, there is much to discover and learn.  The rewards are never ending.  During my journey, I have found pictures of my Utter family in days gone by and bits and pieces of information to add to what I already knew about them. 
            So, how do we begin our genealogy journey?  How do we find relatives, amazing facts, pictures, records, and mementos?  Begin by focusing on only one surname.  This is important so you do not get overwhelmed.     
            Here are the first steps to begin researching your family history: 
1. Decide on one surname to focus your research.  
2. Gather pencil/pen and paper or if you prefer to type, go to the keyboard.
3. Start with yourself and record your information: when and where you were born and your parent’s names.  Next, if you are married, write your marriage information and your spouse’s information.  Be as complete as you can.  If you have children, continue writing each of your children’s information.  If the children are married with children, write that information down as well and continue until you finish each person in your line. When you finish, set this information aside.
4. Next, begin to record the information about your parents, but remember to focus on the surname you chose. Record everything you know about them.  When you finish, set this information aside. 
5. Continue to record the information about your parents’ parents, and so on.  Do this until you cannot go any further because you do not have information on that set of grandparents.
6. After you have worked to produce information, you need to organize it.  Place your work in a folder or if you worked on the keyboard save your work on the computer. 
            In the weeks to come, Genealogy Journey will explore genealogy, families, and history.  Until next week, I wish you well on your genealogy journey.  WORD OF THE WEEK: Family unit: a husband, wife, and children.  

FROM THE LIVING WELL:
I'm working on #2 Slowing Down from the 3 things God said I needed in my life. Slowing down has been fairly hard for me, especially while driving the car in TRAFFIC. I've hit most lights turning red, had to wait! Or there's been mega traffic, had to wait! Or even walking down the halls at school with a child following along, had to wait! But, it's been a week since I began slooooowing down and I'm doing pretty good now. I actually enjoyed my day working with a first grader, so that's great for ME!  Maybe it won't take 12 years for me to accomplish #2. I'll keep you informed!

I'm reading Joyce Meyer's book, "Beauty for Ashes." It's a good one. I just finished  "The Matrimony Plan" by Christine Johnson. It's set in the 1920s and deals with bootlegged whiskey. It's a short historical romance and while it ttook several pages to get me interested in the plot, it ended pretty good. I bought it mainly for the 1920 historical elements.

My to be read pile is SAFE HAVEN by Nicholas Sparks, MARRYING MISS MARSHAL, by Lacy Williams, MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs, EVERYONE'S GUIDE TO SPIRITUAL WARFARE by Ron Phillips and THE VISITATION by Frank E. Peretti.   I enjoy reading Christian books or "sweet" books and inspirational romance. No sexual content for me. Life's too full of that garbage; TV is saturated with it now.

I'm taking a book to work with me while I'm on my lunch break. I need an escape and a good book is the perfect way to go for a few minutes in my hectic day.  Can't wait for the weekend, 3 days at home. Woo Hoo!  I'm planning a trip to Books A Million Saturday. My reading pile will surely grow.

Have a happy week, until next Wednesday, blessings to you!
Karen Utter Jennings



           

No comments:

Post a Comment