Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Writing in the Ozarks

Let's pray for our United States government. They need to set their sites on God. That's how our country was founded, the men had their eyes on the Lord and it was a much simpler time back then. Today money rules!  What about us little guys who are working every day to make ends meet? Why focus the budget cuts on our Military, our Social Security system, Medicare, and the little guys? Look to those programs that can be cut and that will make headway to a better country. Quit blaming the Republicans and the Democrats ~ they are all involved in this. They need to set their eyes on God.


I'm taking an online writing course, "Pioneering Women of the West" from the Hearts Through History RWA chapter. It started Monday. Oh my, it's gonna be a good one and I'm gonna learn a lot about those women who made the West what it is. They were strong. They were pioneers. They were our ancestors! My great, great-grandparents came by covered wagon in 1880 from Indiana to SW Missouri. Grt, grt-grandma Christina was pregnant with her 11th child. Can you imagine that ride all those miles that took 34 days? She had to be tough to endure those hardships.


I saw a quote the other day that made me giggle. "Well-behaved women rarely make history" ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. My great-grandmother's story is coming along. I just started chapter 10 and this chapter will be where she gets married at age 14 in 1909. I can't believe that, either. Marriage at age 14?


My latest read is "The Girl In the Gatehouse" by Julie Klassen. It's a great story set in Regency England. The heroine writes novels for a living, but has to hide that fact, as it was not accepted in those days for women to have careers. I'm about half-way finished.


Happiness & Blessings ~
Karen Utter Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment